Wednesday 29 January 2014

Taking chances

Lately I have been thinking a lot about what it means to change, I think the idea of it is great but to actually do things to create change is harder. I've always been a little resistant to change, purely because even if I don't like the present I understand whats happening and am used to it. However recently I have been thinking about change and taking chances. 

(This is a picture a friend sent me when I was feeling down,
not sure where he got it from though but it helped.) 


Sometimes when certain things happen in your life it can make you think about where you are going and where you actually want to go. So last night I bucked up the courage and went to audition for a play, i've always been interested in acting for a bit of fun. I noticed last week an advertisement for auditions on this play and thought why not? I mean it's about time I put myself out there again. 
Preparing for it yesterday the thing I found most terrifying was the thought of entering a place where I know nobody and putting myself out there during my audition. One thing that doesn't guarantee you change is not taking chances and sometimes that means putting yourself out of your comfort zone. Which in this case really was outside of what I usually feel comfortable with doing. When I finally arrived I was nearly shaking and got lost looking for the building, luckily with the help of some strangers I was able to find my way there. The process was pretty daunting and after receiving the scripts we were told we could watch others audition whilst we wait for our turn. It was great to see other people giving it a go and I could tell they were as nervous as I was. While there I happened to meet a really nice girl and make a friend whilst waiting which made the process a whole lot easier, to be able to talk with someone and know I am not alone. 
I was second last to audition for the role I was going for, the majority of people there were also going for this role. Once they were complete we could find out who was successful. Unfortunately myself nor the nice girl I met while there were successful in getting a role in the play. But this entry isn't about success, it's about taking a chance and seeing what happens when you leave your comfort zone. There are so many things I feel I can't do and maybe its because I don't want to put myself out there but this experience I pushed myself and did it. To be honest I was really happy and proud with myself. 

If you've taken the time to read this I hope it's inspired you to take a chance and do something you wouldn't normally just to prove to yourself that you can do it. 
Thanks for reading and I'd love to hear any stories of your own experiences on taking chances and how they went so feel free to comment below :) 

(I've added a video of Boston by Augustana, this song always inspires me) 





1 comment:

  1. This is a great post very honest and touching.

    You’re so right when you comment on getting out of your comfort zone.
    Life is to be lived not to be scared what others may or may not think about you.
    Do everything you want, experience everything that life has to offer, never regret.
    I can tell you there wouldn't be too many people that would have the guts to go to an audition on their own, so you were very brave and now all you have to do keep trying.
    It’s easy to think that everyone is looking at you but the reality is their not. They are just like you thinking you’re looking at them.
    I try to jump out of bed really quickly and think of something positive to start the day.

    Live each day as if you had been told it was your last!!! Really try to cram all you can into each day.

    When you go to work think going to work gives you the money to have a fantastic time during the week and on the weekends.

    Stay positive Heelssssss and try to live each moment 
    But the way a great clip and you should do that more 

    Cheers
    Allan

    ReplyDelete